Sunday, June 14, 2015

"Welcome to Chicago!"

"Welcome to Chicago!" is the first thing I read on my orientation packet given to me by the Chicago Center for Urban Life and Culture about 12 days ago. For those of you who do not know, Chicago Center is a program out of Hyde Park that "equips college students and other participants to learn from diverse urban communities through innovative programs, seminars, and internships" (chicagocenter.org). Long story short, I am a student from Alma College, Michigan. I will be a junior this fall and I am a Communications major and Environmental Studies minor. Because of Chicago Center I am living in Chicago for the next eight weeks and will gain internship experience and knowledge of the city through the summer program at Chicago Center. 





Upon arrival to Chicago I had mixed emotions about coming here. Eight weeks is the longest time I have been away from home besides when I am at school at Alma College. However, I was mostly incredibly excited to come to a city with such amazing opportunities. I was nervous to see the apartment, neighborhood, and meet me new roommates! Luckily, my mom and my roommate came with me the day before move-in day (June 2nd) to explore the neighborhood and downtown. We visited the American Girl store, Navy Pier, Lakeshore Drive waterfront, architect boat tour, and many other stores on Magnificent Mile! Excitement and nerves were high while awaiting move in day. 

Lakeshore Drive walking/bikng bath (mom, myself, Bre)



Chicago skyline from Navy Pier
June 2, 2015



Move in day is finally here! My roommate that is also from Alma College, Ally, and I showed up to our apartment first and picked out a room and unpacked--good thing for strong friends and dads! We met all of our roommates, it is safe to say we all get along very well and are going to have a wonderful time together this summer! They are all wonderful people from different colleges around the mid-west—Defiance, Adrian, Albion, Anderson, Ohio Wesleyan, and Millikin. The apartment is fantastic! A huge kitchen, living room, sunroom, and numerous bedrooms and bathrooms make it up. After move in, we walked over to the CCULC office and classroom and met the staff and filled out some paperwork. After that, we had our first housing meeting (and I tried Chicago Style pizza for the first time!) We were thrown right into a schedule once our parents left; we attended a show at the Old Town School of Folk Music and saw the Italian band Newpoli preform! They were a mixture of native Italians and Americans, but boy, they were fantastic! The music really stood out to me because you could truly tell how dedicated the band is to their music and their performance. 

Bedroom of apartment

Bedroom/bathroom of apartment 

Apartment living room and dining room 



 Judging by just the past 24 hours, I can tell it is going to be a fantastic whirlwind adventure in the Windy City this summer.


No comments:

Post a Comment