Tuesday, September 1, 2015

So, what to do on your first free weekend?

Well our group has successfully made it through our first week and a half of internship searches and orientation events. We have finally gotten a grasp of the city life and CTA which left our opportunities seemingly endless for our first free weekend. So, how did I decide to spend my first free weekend in Chicago? I conquered all the touristy places on my list to get them out of the way while I was still learning the city!

Friday:

I decided to take my friend Emma's advice and walk through the whole Millennium Park area, which is actually three separate parks. Millennium Park, Maggie Daley Park, and Grant Park. The area is truly a gem of Chicago. From The Bean, rock climbing in Maggie Daley Park, walking across from the lake in Grant Park, and of course the Buckingham Fountain, the possibility of spending a whole day there is a real possibility. Grant Park is home to many festivals over the summer and Art Institute of Chicago is also in the area. Did I mention the gardens? There are gardens everywhere and they are BEAUTIFUL. Go out and enjoy them.

Also: DO NOT FORGET TO GO TO THE CULTURAL CENTER! I will leave this to you to learn more about yourself, because it is truly beautiful!

Buckingham Fountain

The Bean (Photo taken by tourist from Amsterdam)

Cultural Center (photo does not do this place justice!) 


Saturday:
Chicago is right on Lake Michigan, GO to the beach, any beach. My roommates and I went to Oak Street Beach, one of Chicago's more well known beaches. We enjoyed a day in the sun while looking out onto Lake Michigan and then turning around to see the Hancock Tower and the rest of the Chicago skyline on the other side. There are tons of volleyball courts and there is even a bar and restaurant!

Do not forget that this beach is also located right at the northern end of Mag Mile, so it is easy to reach and you can do some shopping when you head back home if you'd like! That is what I did!
Roommate Iman and I at Oak Street Beach

Go Scots!

Water Tower, Mag Mile 

Sunday: 
Shedd Aquarium! I love this place! Not only is the location just gorgeous, but there is so much to see. My personal favorite is the Beluga Whale area and the seahorses. I also love the amphibian area, considering frogs are my favorite animals. Grab a group of friends and go out and hit this spot at least once. Do not forget to order tickets online the night before, you save SO much time, we walked right in! Also, they do have a food court in case you get hungry. Do not forget to go to the marine show, awesome tricks and awesome views of Lake Michigan. 

This frog looks almost exactly like the frogs I had when I was young :) 
Patrick, is that you?

Go watch this show! 



Ahhhh and the perfect way to end another weekend, bike to the waterfront from your apartment. It takes about 5 minutes and the view is very much worth it. It reminds you how wonderful this city is no matter how overwhelmed or homesick or even how happy you are! Just go, go out and see, the city is yours to discover. 


No comments:

Post a Comment